Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The New York Times' spoof



If you haven't seen this yet, try and take a closer look at the date of issue. The paper was post-dated July 4th, 2009.
I was fooled there for a second, and then I realized it was only a prank (unfortunately) ...

Here's what the Times itself had to say:
In an elaborate hoax, pranksters distributed hundreds or possibly thousands of free copies of a spoof edition of The New York Times on Wednesday morning at busy subway stations around the city, including Grand Central Terminal, Washington and Union Squares, the 14th and 23rd Street stations along Eighth Avenue, and Pacific Street in Brooklyn, among others.
“I would say if you’ve got one, hold on to it,” Mr. Jones, a former Times reporter, said of the fake issue. “It will probably be a collector’s item. I’m just glad someone thinks The New York Times print edition is worthy of an elaborate hoax. A Web spoof would have been infinitely easier. But creating a print newspaper and handing it out at subway stations? That takes a lot of effort.”

I totally agree with Mr. Jones, as well as with one person who commented on the Gawker saying "YEAH!! Print is not dead!" hahaha. One of my biggest concerns in becoming a journalist is the fact that the media is so controlled, and many people are forced to keep their mouths shut or to only transmit the truth to a certain extend. I've had the fear that, if I do choose to become a journalist, I would suffer from not being able to truly express myself (which was the reason why I picked journalism in the first place). Anyways, it's things like this that make me giggle inside and know that there are people out there that are not afraid to expose their feelings and ideas, even if that may cause some trouble. Not to mention the fact that this Utopia is ideal and parallel to what most of us wish would happen.

Aw, I wish I had gotten a copy of it so I could keep for ever and ever, haha.

- watch the video.

*I found out about it here.

No comments: